Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My room

At last, we have finished the re-organization of our room (for now)!

The process included the building of a loft, reorganization of most of the furniture, and purchasing of a couch. Now, our beds are right up at the ceiling, creating a ton of room. We also now have suitable seating for around a dozen people (2 people can lay on each bed, 4 people on the couch, and one person on each of the 3 chairs.) Of course we could fit more if we wanted to have people sitting on coushins on the floor. At any rate, it is technically against school rules (fire hazard?) to have more than 8 people in the room, but whatever. I doubt that anyone would actually care... or that we would ever even reach our new seating capacity. Anyways, it's still sweet.

The couch provides for an interesting story. We were thinking of going to Walmart or something to buy a futon... but that would cost $80, and we are college students who would prefer to not spend money like this. So, someone recommended that I send out a mass-email to everyone at Hiram, asking about a couch/futon. I took the advice and emailed the whole student body. I recieved four responses, including someone who was willing to sell me a couch for $5! I decided that if this couch was decent, I'd have to take it... because the price is right.

After looking at the couch (which was stored in this random office building near the Post Office), I decided to take it. It was worn, but still comfy and by no means disgusting. I found out that the money for the couch would be going to SEAC (student environmental action coalition), so I ended up giving $8 for it (though admittedly it was partially because I didn't have exact change :-)

This was about a week ago, and I finally went to get it today. My friend drove her car down there, but we decided do NOT try to stick it through the back seat. Instead, we put the couch face-down on the back of her car and I ran along with the car, holding down the couch. It was a workout! It might strike you as "not the safest idea ever", but it wasn't far, she drove slowly, and I assure you I've done worse things in my life. This picture is staged, but this is what it looked like roughly :-)


Moving the couch up to the third floor was another fun task, but I suppose it really wasn't all that bad. We then finished cleaning our room, put the couch in (after my roommate sprayed down every inch of it with roughly 13 gallons of Lysol), and viola!, we're done.

Here are the pictures of our newly arranged (and cleaned) room.




It's a really nice setup. I'm liking it a lot. The lofted beds are great... I've only hit my head on the ceiling once or twice so far (in about 2 weeks), and those weren't very bad at all! As for the actual wooden beams which are at head-level, they have been bubblewrapped heavily. That was another one of my creative ideas. We don't want anyone to get a concussion :-)

--David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home