Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Hi!

Well there isn't much here at the moment, but I plan on rectifying that very soon. In the future I want to write about things which other people are likely to find interesting... maybe even contraversial? For the time though, I'm mainly going to introduce myself.

I'm David Pritts, an 18-year-old freshman at Hiram College. As of right now, I am calling myself a Political Science major, but that could change (as it does for *many* people in college.) I also have interest in mathematics and philosophy. Also as of right now, I have my eye on possibly going to law school. This could change too (of course), as I know people who have thought they wanted to go into law but changed their mind years (and many thousands of dollars) later.

I am from Cleveland and went to high school St. Ignatius HS on Cleveland's near west side. In high school I was involved in music (I play piano, clarinet, and sax) and debate. A three-year member of our Policy Debate team, I attended the National Forensics League National Finals as a Junior and helped lead us to a State Championship my senior year (though the credit is not mainly mine). I am very proud of this and I feel this has affected me a lot in my interest in law school, politics, and philosophy. It has also made me a very argumentative person (this is *not* always a good thing).

Unlike many guys, I am not really into sports. Not only do I suck at playing them (most of the time), but I don't see the point in professional sports. Having school spirit and caring about my school's sports is something different: I have a lot of respect for the people who can do these things, and I think it's fun and good to support my classmates. Don't expect to see me watching sports on TV, though.

This semester I'm taking 4 classes. First is my freshman writing class (my "colloquium"), which is the History of Anti-Americanism. It's a great group of people and the class is a lot of fun. It's interesting stuff. Next is Calculus III, which I find fun because I like math a lot and I feel that Calculus in particular is very interesting. Then I have my American Government class, which actually seems like it's going to be much more interesting that what one might expect... it's much more philosophical than just learning about what Congress is, what the Supreme Court does, and things like that. My fourth class I have not started yet. As is always the case at Hiram, the semester is broken into a 12 week block and a 3-week block. In the 3-week block, you generally take only one class which meets everyday for 3 hours or so and gives a crapload of homework. This can be great because you can either do something you really love for 3 weeks and fully emerse yourself with it or you can take something you like less and just get it out of the way. My 3 week course is Elementary Logic, an introductory Philosophy course.

I like all of my classes so far -- and no, I'm not just saying that because the people at the Admissions Office are going to show these blogs to prospective students. I really like all my classes, which is something that never happened in high school... there was always (at least) that *one* class that you always thought was boring or something.

Granted I'm not always 100% excited all the time in all my classes. There have been boring moments, but they are good in general.

I think that's enough about me. I hope it was at least a bit interesting, but if not, don't worry; it will get more interesting as I start talking about things besides myself. In fact, I've already decided that sometime in the next 1-2 weeks I'm going to write on here my arguments for why Hiram is the best college in the world and that anyone who says otherwise is confused. That should be interesting.

(I'm somewhat joking, yes, but I really am going to do it and it should be fun[ny].)

Cheers!

--David

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Hey! This looks nice!! Hurray for us!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home