Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Fall Break

Fall break, aka "Fall Weekend", was great. It was actually only a 4-day weekend, but I got to go home and it was a lot of fun. I got to hang out with some older friends as well as some new ones that I met at Hiram. That's one of the little things that I like about Hiram: there doesn't have to be complete seperation between your school and home lives... the majority of the people (though certainly not all) are from Ohio, so I met people who I can hang out with even when I'm at home. I also got to judge a debate tournament, go to a football game, and visit my family.

At the moment, I'm doing pretty well. The wounds on my foot are almost healed and, for your information, I ended up getting to bed at around 4.00AM the last night I posted. Five hours of sleep isn't *that* bad.

Hmm, what else. Oh, we lofted our beds on Sunday. Now my roommate and I have a lot more room than we used to. Now we have to get a couch or futon... I'll post some pictures of this later. It's an awesome setup. I highly recommend lofts.

I took a test today in my Goverment class. I didn't feel as prepared for this one as I did for my last one... but I still felt pretty confident about it all. Tests in college are a lot different than tests in high school. In high school, I remember having all sorts of homework all the time. One result of this is that it gave easy points (usually) to people who wanted to do the work. Another result is that actual tests aren't as important because there are so many assignments. This is great for people who do their homework, but bad for people who can learn the material but are too lazy to do the work.

Logically, since the purpose of class is to get the student to know something, tests are the most important (though certainly some assignments, like essays, are also very important).

So I think college is great! In my goverment class, I have never once done any homework. There is none. We have reading, which is sometimes important, though it is often supplementary. As far as I know, the class has three grades: the first test, the second test, and the third test. In my calc class, the homework is almost always optional! Sometimes our professor will tell us (ahead of time) that certain problems will be collected. But for the most part, it is for practice. It's for learning -- the way it should be.

Clearly studying is important... but I'd much rather study and learn than do homework. This is why I love college academics thus far.

I need to go take a shower, so I'll write more soon.

--David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home