Sunday, January 07, 2007


Winter Break


Well, break is now over... I just got back to school a few hours ago. I'm very glad to be back! Even the less-than-tasty dinner in the dining hall has not made me wish I were home.

My break was interesting, I suppose. I visited my family in Boston over Christmas. It was a good time:

My cousin Theresa with my new cousin Brea, who I met for the first time!

I tried on some interesting hats at the store...
Cousins
Gary and I

I also visited my family in Ann Arbor for a day. Gary and I had some good times with my cousin Brad. It was also good to visit (although briefly) with my uncle's Brad and Dan, and aunts Sue and Jill. Also, of course, we got to see little Madeline, who is actually starting to seem quite big.

Gary and I had to leave early, though, because he had to leave for the Sugar Bowl on Saturday morning and would need a ride to the airport.

For the rest of the break, I was pretty much home the whole time. The most eventful time was New Years, of course. My friend Robin (He's from Nepal, and he's my neighbor at school) was at Hiram all break. I felt very bad for him because Hiram is absolutely dead over break because there is almost nobody there. Very lonely for 3 weeks!! So, I invited him to come stay at my house during break. He had to work in the computer center at school over break, so he couldn't leave school the whole time. But, he was able to come up for 5 days around New Years.

We had some good times. We watched such true American classics as "Meet the Parents" and "Office Space", toured Cleveland, visited the Science Center, ate at Chipotle, went bowling, and did a number of other exciting activities.

(I bowled a LOT over break... probably 2 dozen games at least... it was awesome. Robin picked it up very quickly! I also bowled the best game of my life.. twice! First a 160, and a few days later a 170)

On New Years Eve, we had a little party with 4 guys -- it was exciting! Better than I expected, actually. Didn't get to sleep until 9AM!

Me, Phil, and Robin also cooked dinner for my mom one night. We made Nepali food, of course. After Robin went through all of the spices my mom had and determined that none of them were good enough (too old, too flavorless, too full of pesticides, etc), we went to an Indian supermarket where he was able to buy the necessary ingredients. It took the three of us about 2 hours to put everything together, but it was awesome.
Robin tends to the main course. Note the apron.The final product.


The only Nepali part of the meal was the chicken (I cooked the rice and the peas), but it was very good, even though Robin said it didn't come out nearly as planned.

I guess that covers the most important stuff. Of course I also did all of the typical stuff, such as staying up until 4AM every night, hitting up 24 hour restaurants with friends, spending time with my parents, etc. It was fun, but I'm glad to be back!

--David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home