Friday, May 11, 2007

Done with School!

The past 3 weeks have been incredibly busy, and I had no time to blog. I took a great course called The U.S. Occupation of Japan and Iraq, which is a comparative history class with one of Hiram's best professors (Adam Cathcart) who is unfortnately leaving the school to go to China/Washington. (Yeah I'm not exactly sure what that means.) The class was an insane amount of work, as he thought it was reasonable to expect us to read 200 pages in a night. . . and then write an essay about the reading. There were also map quizzes, projects, a mandatory 4-page rap song with footnotes, and many other assignments.

It was a great course, and I learned a lot while stressing myself out completely and getting no sleep for 3 weeks. Really . . . 3-4 hours in a night was not uncommon, and I pulled several all-nighers.

In the end, it was totally worth it! And I got an A. :-)

Some fun things happened too. . . such as springfest, which is a big event that happens at the end of each school year. It's an all-weekend event. . . they have a dance+dinner, a concert, and a carnival+huge picnic(among other things) throughout the weekend. It was definetely a good time.

Finishing up the year was a bittersweet time. Of course I really love a lot of the folks at Hiram, and I enjoy my life as a student. But the 3-week also exhausted me, and I was ready for school to be done.

Packing up was crazy. . . it's impressive how much shit I accumulated over the year. I didn't think I was going to be able to fit it all into my dad's car! My dad had to borrow a van. . . though this was largely because a friend of mine needed a ride back to Cleveland too, so we needed room for her stuff too.

After a few hours of cleaning and throwing most of my belongings into plastic grocery bags, I (with the help of my roommate, who did the same) transformed my room into the barren and lonely wasteland that all dorm rooms are when empty.

Now I get to go work at my job (which I don't like -- painting) all summer. I cannot wait for August.

Cheers!

--David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home